Cambiasso announces Foxes exit

first_img Press Association New Foxes boss Claudio Ranieri had held talks with the 34-year-old, urging him to make his mind up as the club needed to know if he was staying on after his deal expired last month. In a statement on his Facebook page, the player said: ” I would like to announce that I have decided not to renew my contract with Leicester City. Midfielder Esteban Cambiasso has announced he will not renew his contract with Leicester. “I have taken this decision only 24 hours after receiving the proposal from Leicester because I want to give the club as much time as possible to find an alternative.” Cambiasso’s decision will come as a blow to Ranieri, who said on Monday – at his first press conference since replacing the axed Nigel Pearson – that keeping the former Argentina international was a priority. ”I’ve had a conversation with him. I have spoken to him, I know him from Inter Milan, I coached him there. I said to him ‘I need you, everybody loves you in Leicester, please come back’,” the Italian had said. ”He told me he wants to wait and look at all the opportunities offered to him and then he will choose. But we need ‘Yes or no’ because at the start of the season he is a team leader and if he doesn’t come I need another team leader. We don’t start the season without a player like him.” Cambiasso proved a key figure last season as Leicester won seven and drew one of their final 10 games to retain their Barclays Premier League status. The player’s statement continued: “I would like to thank all the fans who last season made me feel proud to be part of a club with an unforgettable spirit and energy. “And a very special thanks to all my team-mates, staff and every people of the club, with whom I have lived one of the most important years of my career, crowned with the remaining EPL status. “Many thanks to everyone, keeping you all forever in my heart. Leicester City Football Club.” Leicester thanked Cambiasso for his service and wished him well for the future. The club said in a statement: “Leicester City Football Club would like to express its sincerest thanks to Esteban for his exceptional contribution during the 2014/15 season, which saw the Argentine midfielder play a central role in the Club’s successful fight to remain in the Barclays Premier League. “Our efforts to retain his services began before the end of last season and the Club appreciates the professional manner in which Esteban and his representatives have conducted themselves during negotiations since that time. “We fully respect Esteban’s wishes and wish him well in his future career.” last_img read more

Read More →

Gins’ mission: Stop Durham

first_imgMeralco import Allen Durham is expected to create matchup problems for Ginebra coach Tim Cone (left) and import Justin Brownlee (foreground). —AUGUST DELA CRUZBarangay Ginebra has embraced the fact that Meralco has an import that cannot be silenced.The Gin Kings will have to address that matchup predicament with Meralco’s Allen Durham quickly before the PBA Governors’ Cup Finals gets off the ground on Friday at Quezon Convention Center in Lucena.ADVERTISEMENT Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? MOST READ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours “I definitely remember that shot,” said Brownlee, who dropped 28 of his career-high 46 points in the second half of their Game 4 win against TNT. “But whatever we did last year, doesn’t matter in this conference.”Kiefer, Jeron joining DraftMeanwhile, former collegiate stars Kiefer Ravena and Jeron Teng declared their intention to join the 2017 PBA Rookie Draft set Oct. 29.Ravena informed the Inquirer on Monday of his decision.A two-time UAAP champion and two-time UAAP Most Valuable Player from Ateneo, Ravena has also won four gold medals in the Southeast Asian Games.The two are tipped to become the top draftees along with Filipino-German Christian Standhardinger, La Salle’s Jason Perkins and Raymar Jose of Far Eastern U. —WITH REPORTS FROM CEDELF P. TUPASADVERTISEMENT View comments “Their import is a beast and we don’t have a matchup for him,” said Barangay Ginebra coach Tim Cone after the Kings subdued the TNT KaTropa, 3-1, in the semifinals to set up the championship rematch with the Bolts.Durham has been Meralco’s catalyst for success this conference, having brought the Bolts back to the finals at the expense of the Star Hotshots in the other semifinal encounter.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“We’ll try to figure something out,” said Cone. “They’re also really playing well and coach Norman (Black) has a team playing the way it should be.”Though he captured the Best Import award last year, Durham and the Bolts fell to the Gin Kings after Justin Brownlee sank the buzzer-beating trey that clinched the title in Game 6. Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Azkals resume Asian Cup bid Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’last_img read more

Read More →