German coal phase-out plan will shutter first 12.7GW of capacity by 2022

first_imgGerman coal phase-out plan will shutter first 12.7GW of capacity by 2022 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Germany should shut down all of its coal-fired power plants by 2038 at the latest, a government-appointed commission said on Saturday, proposing at least 40 billion euros ($45.7 billion) in aid to regions affected by the phase-out.The roadmap proposals, a hard-won compromise reached early on Saturday after more than 20 hours of talks, must now be implemented by the German government and 16 regional states. They embody Germany’s strategy to shift to renewables, which made up more than 40 percent of the energy mix last year — beating coal for the first time — and follow a 2011 decision to halt nuclear power.In a first step, plant operators including RWE, Uniper, EnBW and Vattenfall will be asked to shut down about 12.7 gigawatts (GW) of capacity by 2022, equivalent to about 24 large power station units, said the report, seen by Reuters.Under the proposed plans, coal power capacity in Germany would more than halve to 17 GW by 2030.In a blow to RWE, the commission said preserving the contested Hambach forest was “desirable”, hitting the group’s key source of lignite where mining operations have already been halted following a court order.While the 2038 date to exit coal was in line with expectations, the report said the phase out could be completed by 2035 — a decision that would be taken in 2032.More: Germany to phase out coal by 2038 in move away from fossil fuelslast_img read more

Read More →

I QUIT: Senior Jamaica minister resigns citing several unsubstantiated allegations

first_img Share Tweet Share Share NewsRegional I QUIT: Senior Jamaica minister resigns citing several unsubstantiated allegations by: – May 25, 2011center_img Sharing is caring! 35 Views   no discussions by Kathy BarrettKINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Energy and Mining Minister James Robertson Tuesday resigned from the Jamaica government, citing “recent events which include several unsubstantiated allegations (that) have taken a heavy toll on my family and me”.In a brief letter to Prime Minister Bruce Golding, Robertson said he had decided to submit his resignation with ‘immediate effect” after holding discussions with his wife, Catherine and his daughters.While he did not indicate the “unsubstantiated allegations”, Robertson said he was confident “that this matter will be resolved once given the opportunity and due process.“Under the circumstances, I believe my resignation from the Cabinet is the correct course of action at this time,” he told Golding.Late on Monday, Robertson confirmed that the United States had revoked the visa given to him and his wife. He said the visas were cancelled last Friday. “We readily acknowledge that as a sovereign nation it is the prerogative of the US Government to issue and revoke visas,” Robertson said.“However, no details have been provided as to the basis for the cancellations although we are of the view that this could have resulted from the uncorroborated statements forwarded to various departments of the US Government in support of a failed application for political asylum,” he said.Robertson’s reference to a failed application for political asylum stemmed from a case involving Ian Johnson, a former activist with the ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP).On December 17, 2010, Johnson filed a claim in the Circuit Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit in Broward County, making damning allegations against Robertson. However, in January this year, a Florida court threw out the suit. Robertson said he and his wife have since written to their U.S based attorney in the hope of seeking an audience with the relevant US officials in an effort to ascertain the basis for the cancellations of the visas.He said all appropriate channels will be utilised and expressed confidence that once given the opportunity and due process, the matter will be resolved.The main opposition People’s National Party (PNP), in a statement issued before Roberston announced his resignation, said it was concerned over the decision by Washington to revoke the minister’s visa.“This must obviously be a matter of serious concern. It is very exceptional and unusual for the US government to take this action against a high government official of another country and we will have to assume that it was not done arbitrarily,” said PNP general secretary, Peter Bunting.“Therefore, the question that the Prime Minister must now weigh is can Mr. Robertson continue to function effectively as a minister of government,” Bunting said, adding “it is  going to cast a cloud over him that will affect his ability to perform his function as a minister, particularly functions involved in overseas travel, conferences, negotiations etcetera”.Political commentator Lloyd B. Smith said the move by Washington will have implications for both the government and the ruling Jamaica Labour Party (JLP). “Mr. Robertson is not just an ordinary member of the JLP, he’s one of the members of the hierarchy of the party. He’s a Deputy Leader, he’s seen as a very influential party person and he’s a full fledged minister.“Surely this type of high profile embarrassment where his visa and that of his wife have been revoked will put a dent in the JLP,” Smith said.Another political commentator, Martin Henry, said that although the reasons for the visa cancellation have not been made public, Golding will be forced to make an announcement.Meanwhile, the PNP Youth Organization (PNPYO) has welcomed Robertson’s resignation but has also called for the resignation of Prime Minister Golding. In a statement, the PNPYO said the Prime Minister has been tainted by several controversies that have brought into question his credibility and moral authority to continue leading the country.It also pointed to the revelation by the international whistle-blowing organisation, WikiLeaks published by in the  Sunday Gleaner, indicating that the United States Embassy here has labelled the Golding administration as “two-faced”.The US Government document uncovered by WikiLeaks suggested that the Prime Minister was less than truthful on at least two occasions when he first responded to questions in Parliament about the extradition request for alleged drug lord Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.  “In many other countries the Prime Minister or President would have already done the noble thing and stepped down,” the PNPYO said in its statement. The PNPYO said it was now time for the Prime Minister to do the honourable thing by stepping aside and saving Jamaica further national and international embarrassment.last_img read more

Read More →

The Latest: Kentucky Derby postponed from May to September

first_imgThe Kentucky Derby has been postponed from May to September because of the coronavirus pandemic.Churchill Downs officials said Tuesday the race will move from May 2 to Sept. 5, marking the first time in 75 years it won’t be run on the first Saturday in May.The last time the first leg of the Triple Crown wasn’t held on the first Saturday in May was in 1945, when the federal government issued a ban on horse racing because of World War II. The ban was lifted on May 8, and the Derby was held on June 9. The only other year the Derby wasn’t held in May was in 1901, when it was raced on April 29.The date change still must be approved by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission at its meeting Thursday.___ The Latest: Kentucky Derby postponed from May to September In an open letter on the F1 website, Carey wrote: “We apologize to those fans affected by the cancellation in Australia, as well as the postponement of the other races to date. These decisions are being made … in rapidly changing and evolving circumstances, but we believe they are the right and necessary ones. We also want to extend our thoughts to those already affected, including those in the Formula 1 family.”On Monday, tire provider Pirelli said one of its staff tested positive for the virus and was undergoing treatment in Melbourne.___11:45 a.m.Soccer in Russia has been suspended until April 10. 10:35 a.m.Hertha Berlin’s players and coaching staff are going into quarantine for 14 days after one of the players tested positive for the coronavirus.The Bundesliga club doesn’t say which player was affected.The team had been due to return to training on Tuesday after three days of individual exercise.Hertha doctor Uli Schleicher says “the player complained about the usual symptoms and we immediately separated him from the group. A test then produced a positive result for the virus. All players in our squad must now stay at home for the next two weeks.” 1:45 p.m.UK Athletics says all clubs and groups should not be training or taking part in competitive races amid the coronavirus outbreak.The guidance follows directives outlined by the British government about limiting social contact.UKA said the suspension also applies to coaching and officiating.___ March 17, 2020 The Diamond League has called off its first three track meets of the season.The Diamond League was scheduled to start in Qatar next month. Two meets in China in May were to follow. The Diamond League says travel restrictions and disrupted preparations caused by the coronavirus outbreak have made it impossible to stage those competitions on time.The season is now tentatively set to begin in Stockholm on May 24.Only one of the three canceled meets has been rescheduled. The event in Shanghai is now set for Aug. 13. The meet in Qatar and the second Chinese meet have been postponed indefinitely but could be restaged after the Diamond League final in September.The 2020 season was supposed to see a shift in how the Diamond League is run with an extended 15-meet season and fewer events at each. 1:10 p.m.The Spanish soccer league has offered about 500 coronavirus tests for its clubs.The tests have been distributed prioritizing teams that traveled to risk areas or already have players infected.Valencia defender Ezequiel Garay on Sunday became the first Spanish league player infected with the virus.The distribution of tests began last Thursday as part of the league’s actions to support its clubs during the pandemic. ___1:05 p.m.All horse racing in Britain will be suspended starting Wednesday.It was the last remaining major sport to be continuing in the country amid the coronavirus outbreak.But the British Horseracing Authority says the race meetings in Wetherby and Taunton — being staged without fans on Tuesday — will be last until the end of April. ___12:10 p.m.Formula One CEO Chase Carey has apologized to fans for the early part of the series being called of by the coronavirus outbreak.The Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne wasn’t canceled last week until teams and drivers forced it. A McLaren team member had tested positive and some drivers had already flown home, but F1 still waited to cancel until just before practices were scheduled to start.The following three races in Bahrain, Vietnam and China have all been postponed. The European Gymnastics Union says it tried to find ways to keep its events going despite the spread of the coronavirus but found it impossible because of government restrictions and travel bans.The events offered Olympic qualifying spots.The women’s championships were due to be held in Paris from April 30-May 3, and the men’s championships in Baku, Azerbaijan, from May 27-31.Also called off are European rhythmic gymnastics championships in Ukraine and the European trampoline championship in Sweden, both in May.The UEG says it hopes the events can be rescheduled for the second half of the year. Kelmendi is the first athlete from Kosovo to win an Olympic gold medal.Coach Driton Kuka is among the group. None of them has been infected by the virus.Kosovo has had 16 coronavirus cases. All sports and other entertainment or cultural activities have been suspended in the country and schools, cafes, restaurants, gyms and pools have been closed.___9:55 a.m. China has already resumed a partial track and field schedule after the virus outbreak subsided. It was supposed to host the world indoor championships this month in Nanjing but that event was moved to 2021.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the coronavirus outbreak’s effect on sports around the world (all times local):___10 a.m. The Russian league was the best attended sports competition still operating in Europe last weekend with more than 33,000 fans at one of its games.The Russian Football Union says its board agreed to immediately suspend all competitions at a meeting Tuesday.That follows a wave of tighter restrictions on public gatherings and events across Russia and a decision by CSKA Moscow to cancel its upcoming game against Zenit St. Petersburg.Fans made ironic references to the virus outbreak at games last week. Fans of Zenit chanted “we’re all going to die” on Saturday and CSKA supporters displayed a banner on Sunday with the club crest and the message: “This virus is inside me. I’m its carrier.”___ 1:40 p.m.The Kontinental Hockey League and the VTB United League in basketball have suspended play.Both leagues say they will stop until at least April 10.The KHL is widely considered to be the strongest hockey league outside the NHL. It had previously said it would pause for a week to draw up a new playoff format. It’s been left with six Russian teams in an eight-team bracket after Finnish team Jokerit and Kazakh team Barys withdrew.___ The BHA says the decision was taken “to protect essential emergency services and the health and welfare of staff working in the racing industry.”BHA chief executive Nick Rust says its “first duty is to the health of the public, our customers and to racing industry participants and staff,” while saying it will do its best to support those whose livelihoods depend on what Rust said is a “4 billion pound industry.”___1 p.m.The men’s and women’s European gymnastics championships have been canceled. Associated Press Hertha general manager Michael Preetz says “it was to be expected that the virus would reach the team sooner or later. The most important thing now is that everyone sticks to the rules.”___10:10 a.m.The Kosovo judo team has been self-isolating as it prepares for the Tokyo Olympics.Olympic champion Majlinda Kelmendi, four other judokas and five staff members have closed themselves in at a training center in Peja, 85 kilometers (50 miles) west of Pristina.last_img read more

Read More →

USC acceptance rate drops by three percentage points

first_imgThe USC Office of Admissions on Thursday released statistics on the incoming freshman class of 2022, the most selective in USC history.Karan Nevatia | Daily TrojanOut of a record-breaking pool of 64,256 applicants — a 14 percent increase from last year and the largest jump in 20 years for a one-year period — only 8,258 students were admitted, according to USC News. The 13 percent acceptance rate marked the lowest ever in USC history, dropping 3 percentage points from the 16 percent acceptance rate for the class of 2021. “We’ve never had a harder time selecting which applicants to put in the classroom,” Timothy Brunold, USC dean of admission, said to USC News. “We could hardly believe the numbers, and now we’re feeling the pain of having to turn away so many candidates we admire. At the same time, it’s a breakthrough year for USC.”According to USC News, this notable increase in the number of applicants was the biggest since 1999 with the exception of 2012, when the introduction of the Common Application caused a spike in applications.Of those admitted this year, the average high school unweighted GPA is 3.84 on a 4-point scale, with 34 percent of admits having a 4.0 GPA. Approximately 85 percent of admits scored in the 95th percentile or higher on standardized tests, while 60 percent scored in the 99th.“Grades and numbers are a starting point,” Brunold said to USC News. “We want a diverse class, and we think about which students our faculty want to teach, which students want to solve intractable problems. It’s a search-and-selection process that lines up with the University’s strategic plan, and the mature young people we admit bring something to the student body.”According to the USC admissions blog, nearly 3,300 different high schools were represented from more than 87 countries in the incoming class of 2022. Sixteen percent of admits are international students, while 26 percent are from underrepresented minority groups. Additionally, one in seven admits will be the first in their family to attend college.In the USC News release, Brunold attributed this record increase in applicants to high interest in new degree programs at several schools, as well as “the draw of student life enhancements like the massive USC Village.”last_img read more

Read More →