Kyrgios Dumps Rotterdam Open for NBA Celebrity Game

first_imgAustralian Nick Kyrgios has pulled out of the Rotterdam Open to play in basketball’s NBA All-Star Celebrity Game next February.Rotterdam tournament director Richard Krajicek released the 21-year-old from his contract so he can take part in the basketball showpiece in New Orleans. “Kyrgios prefers his passion beyond his profession,” said Krajicek.Kyrgios is suspended for eight weeks from the ATP Tour for not producing his “best effort” in Shanghai last week.The world number 14, who had won the Japan Open the previous week, patted the ball over the net several times when serving in his 6-3 6-1 second-round defeat by Mischa Zverev in China.He also began walking back to his chair before a Zverev serve had landed.Kyrgios subsequently said he was “truly sorry” and would use this time during his suspension “to improve on and off the court”.The sanction, which included a fine of $25,000 (£20,560), will keep him off the tour until 15 January, although he could return by November 7 if he agrees to an ATP plan that he consults a sports psychologist.Krajicek, the 1996 Wimbledon champion, has added US Open champion Stan Wawrinka to the Rotterdam field in place of Kyrgios.“We wanted to hold [Kyrgios] to his contract,” the Dutchman told the Nederlandse Omroep Stichting.“You see what can happen when he is tired and [tennis] has little meaning, as in China. We do not want that. So we decided to terminate his contract. We want a top tennis player seen on the court. Kyrgios prefers his passion beyond his profession.“If every week he is focused on tennis, he might be mentally burned out after six months. He needs an outlet.”Kyrgios represented his country at youth level as a basketball player, and said in an interview in June 2015 that he preferred the sport to tennis.Asked then if he might have had a career in basketball, Kyrgios said: “I thought I was going to. “I was trying to get there when I was 14 and every time when I’m playing now, I still think I can for some odd reason, even though I’m playing a completely different sport.“That’s just the way it is and unfortunately I think my basketball career has come to an end.”The NBA celebrity match is part of the organisation’s All-Star weekend. It features three matches, culminating in the prestigious All-Star Game on 19 February, involving the NBA’s top players.This year’s weekend was originally to have been held in Charlotte, North Carolina, but was moved after state legislators introduced laws that limited anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →

Take a Look at the best Red Bull Cliff Diving Moments in Mostar (VIDEO)

first_imgThis year, Red Bull Cliff Diving will bring the world’s best jumpers in BiH who will demonstrate their skills at the Old Bridge in Mostar on September 8. The previous three editions included a lot of excitement, great jumps and interesting events.When the world cliff diving elite steps at the Old Bridge on Saturday, September 8, it will be the fourth Red Bull Cliff Diving World Championship in our country. Residents of Mostar are used to a spectacle after three years full of memorable moments.At the first competition that was held on August 15, 2015, the Colombian jumper Orlando Duque, an old friend of Mostar, had a great support of local fans. However, Mexican Jonathan Paredes, the rising star back then, recorded the first victory in his career. He is the current champion now. Sergio Guzman, also a Mexican, won a second place and caused a great surprise, which was the first time in the history of this championship for a competitor who received an invitation to end up on the winning podium.The following year brought a novelty – a competition in women category, which attracted great attention and caused great enthusiasm just like in the male category. The winners that year were Lysanne Richard from Canada and Michal Navratil from the Czech Republic.Last year, Gary Hunt from England won at the Old Bridge from the third attempt. Champion Rhiannan Iffland (Australia) was injured in training and thus had to give up the competition, and Cesilie Carlton from the US won. Sergio Guzman, the one who won the second place in Mostar two years earlier, was unlucky and had a bad jump, but he was saved from more serious consequences thanks to quick response of the rescuers.However, one thing did not change in all three years, and that is that the plateau under the bridge and all of the possible points from which is possible to follow the competition full of spectators who knew how to make a great atmosphere. There is no doubt that this will be the case again on September 8, when the new spectacle is scheduled.Take a look at the video:(Source: klix.ba)last_img read more

Read More →