Family meals ‘boost child fruit and vegetable intake’

first_imgBBC 20 Dec 2012Eating meals as a family improves children’s eating habits – even if it only happens once or twice a week, UK researchers suggest. It is recommended children eat five portions of fruit and vegetables per day – about 400g. The Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health study found those who always ate together achieved this – but those who only did sometimes came close. Watching parents and siblings eat teaches good habits, experts said.Parental exampleThis study looked at just under 2,400 children at 52 primary schools in south London. Parents and fieldworkers compiled food diaries at school and at home, ticking off all the foods and drinks a child had in one 24-hour period. Parents were also asked questions about their attitudes to fruit and vegetables, such as “On average, how many nights a week does your family eat at a table?” and “Do you cut up fruit and vegetables for your child to eat?” The study found 656 families said they always ate meals together at a table, 768 sometimes did, while 92 families never did so. Children in the “always” group ate five portions of fruit and vegetables, compared with 4.6 in the “sometimes” group and 3.3 in the “never”. That equates to the always group eating 125g more fruit and veg, and the sometimes group eating 95g more a day than the never group. Seeing parents eat fruit and vegetables – and cutting up portions for children both boosted their intake.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20762105last_img read more

Read More →

Fitness camp for obese Negrense cops mulled

first_img“Every morning, he does walking fortwo to three kilometers. Since we started this, he has lost 12 kilograms,” thepolice official said. According to Baleros, they areplanning to implement a weight loss program for 45 to 60 days. The participantswill be housed at the provincial police headquarters in this city. “Big Boy” told reporters that whenBaleros first saw him, he weighed 158 kilograms, but he is now down to 146. Alias “Big Boy” dismissed the commentsof netizens that he was shamed by Baleros in uploading the video of him doingphysical exercises. Alias “Big Boy” said his weightballooned during the time he was doing office duties between September 2013 andApril 2014. He added that while these policeofficers are based at the Camp Alfredo Montelibano Sr., he will join them intheir daily morning walking exercise and ensure that they follow a certaindiet. Still, he said he will persevere withthe encouragement and support of his superior as he admitted having lacked thediscipline to maintain his ideal body weight. “They don’t know the whole story. PD(provincial director) also gave me advice during that time…He has goodintentions,” he added. BACOLOD City – Overweight policemen inNegros Occidental will be forced to work off their accumulated fats and bulgingwaistlines. Police Colonel Romeo Baleros, the province’s top cop, is set tolead an in-house fitness camp starting next week for overweight police officersto help them reach their ideal body mass index (BMI).center_img During the press conference, Balerospresented alias “Big Boy,”  an obesepolice officer he has been helping lose weight since November last year. “I asked the one in-charge of the BMIevaluation to identify all policemen who are obese. Our aim is to significantlytrim down their weight,” Baleros said on Tuesday. “Right now, my weight loss is stillnot significant, but I will push for it. It’s hard to go on a diet especiallywhen you’re used to eating a lot,” said the policeman, who is a good cook. On Feb. 29, Baleros uploaded on hispersonal Facebook page a video showing him coaching the policeman in doingsit-ups, push-ups and stationary jogs while inside his office. Baleros said that when he saw “BigBoy” on detachment duty about four months ago, he ordered him to be assigned atthe NOCPPO headquarters so he could closely monitor his progress in losingweight. Still, he needs to work harder toreach a BMI of 80 kilograms, which is ideal for males like him who are 5’11”tall. He said he tipped the scales at 80 kilograms when he was a police traineein 2011. Baleros said he is helping “Big Boy”to also encourage other obese policemen to become fit so they can do their jobwell. (With a report from PNA/PN)last_img read more

Read More →

Sponsors hail Sharapova’s reduced ban

first_imgBy Ian Ransom(REUTERS)-Maria Sharapova’s reduced suspension for a doping violation is set to provide a healthy boost to her bank balance with corporate sponsors reaffirming their commitment to the Russian player.The 29-year-old can return to the court next April after the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced her two-year ban by nine months on Tuesday.Sharapova’s stunning admission in March that she had tested positive for meldonium at the Australian Open, and her subsequent ban by the International Tennis Federation, saw a number of sponsors distance themselves from her.Swiss watchmaker Tag Heuer cut ties with the former world number one while Porsche, a unit of Volkswagen AG, was among those to suspend its relationship with the Russian.However, in the wake of Tuesday’s verdict the German luxury carmaker confirmed it would discuss its tie-ups with Sharapova.“We welcome the CAS verdict and are delighted for Maria,” Porsche said in a statement published by Russian news agency TASS.“No contracts have been terminated. We will be discussing a future collaboration over the next days and weeks.”Nike Inc, the world’s biggest sportswear brand, initially suspended its partnership with Sharapova after her admission in March but said it would continue to work with the player after her two-year ban was announced in June.“We are pleased that Maria will be back playing the sport she loves in April and look forward to partnering with her and enjoying her continued success on and off the court,” Nike said in a statement published by ESPN.Mineral water brand Evian and racket maker Head, long-time backers, also released statements hailing the reduction.Head chairman and CEO Johan Eliasch, a robust supporter of Sharapova throughout the scandal, said “justice” had been served.“We are very proud to have stood by Maria for the right reasons throughout these difficult and testing times,” he said in a statement posted on the company’s social media accounts.Five-times grand slam champion Sharapova, the world’s highest-paid sportswoman, earned $29.7 million last year, according to Forbes magazine, most of it from endorsements, appearances and royalties rather than victories on court.Sponsors’ moves to rekindle their relationships with Sharapova were viewed dimly by some sports fans on social media.“So boss of Head reckons drug taking is fine. Tennis is a mess with sponsors like this!” tweeted David Cooke (@hirsty9).last_img read more

Read More →

Bašić and Gorčić will play today at “BH Telecom Indoors 2013” tournament

first_imgSecond day of the main part of tennis ATP Challenger Tournament “BH Telecom Indoors 2013”, 9 single matches and three double matches will be played, and three BIH tennis players will also play today.Mirza Bašić will play against Fabrice Martin from France, and Ismar Gorčić will play against Josselin Ouann , also from France.Damir Džumhur will play in the pair with Czech Jiri Vesly against Marin Draganja and Nikola Mektić from Croatia.last_img

Read More →